Data Security and Backups

Wednesday 24 August 2011

How to Set Goals

This Post has nothing to do with “Data Backup or Security of Data”. This post is an exception I tried to pull off after writing a bunch of posts related to “Data Backup and Security”. It talks about “Goal Setting” which is useful for any person irrespective of what field you come from, your qualification, etc.

The most important factor to understand in Goal Setting is even if we miss your goals, it does not make you a failure. Delay does not mean defeat. It only means one has to replan to accomplish one's target. Most people after they set a goal and are unable to reach for whatever reason start thinking it’s worthless to go through this process and start thinking “nothing goes my way”. The moment you start thinking this you have created even a bigger problem.
Let me share with you something which I had came across couple of years back with one of my clients. I was invited to one of my clients Office location as he required assistance for our Software. When I entered his Office area and started helping him with his issues, at the same time I saw some big stickers all around on his walls. They were something like this, “I want to purchase a new Office in next 2 years”, “My Goal is to get a new car within next 12 months”, “I want to add 20 marketing people for my products within next 6 months”. After I completed helping him with his setup, I asked him regarding all the stickers, he told me it reminds him everyday what his goals are, and with these he had build his business which was worth couple of millions, with a person having minimal capital to start-up. This is what goals can do. Are you ready to setup your goals? Is it tough? Your call.

Would you sit in a train or a plane without knowing where it was going? Ofcourse not. Then why do people go through life without having any goals?

If you ask most people what is their one major objective in life, they would probably give you a vague answer, such as, "I want to be successful, be happy, make a good living," or “I want to make my family happy” and that is it. They are all wishes and none of them are clear goals.

Goals must be

SMART:
1. S--specific. For example, "I want to buy house in next 14 months."
2. M--must be measurable. If we cannot measure it, we cannot accomplish it.
3. A--must be achievable. Achievable means that it should be out of reach enough to be challenging but it should not be out of sight, otherwise it becomes disheartening.
4. R--realistic. For example “If someone states I want to buy 2 houses in 6 months that would be somewhat unrealistic.”
5. T--time-bound. There should be a starting date and a finishing date.

Why are Goals Important?
On the best sunny day, the most powerful magnifying glass will not light paper if you keep moving the glass. But if you focus and hold it, the paper will light up. That is the power of concentration. A man was traveling and stopped at an intersection. He asked an elderly man, "Where does this road take me?" The elderly person asked, "Where do you want to go?" The man replied, "I don't know." The elderly person said, "Then take any road. What difference does it make?"
How true. When we don't know where we are going, any road will take us there.

Enthusiasm without direction is like wildfire and leads to frustration. Goals give a sense of direction. Goals must be set in positive tone.


Why Don't More People Set Goals?
There are many reasons, including:
1. A pessimistic attitude--Always seeing the pitfalls rather than the possibilities.

2. Fear of failure--What if I don't make it? People feel subconsciously that if they don't set goals and if they don't make it, then they haven't failed. But they are failures to begin with.

3. A lack of ambition--This is a result of our value system and lack of desire to live a fulfilled life. Our limited thinking prevents us from progress.
4. A fear of rejection--If I don't make it, what will other people say?

5. Procrastination--"Someday, I will set my goals." The most common attitude of people. Stop Procrastination. Get in habit of doing it now.

6. Low self-esteem--Because a person is not internally driven and has no inspiration.

7. Ignorance of the importance of goals--Nobody taught them and they never learned the importance of goal-setting.

8. A lack of knowledge about goal-setting--People don't know the mechanics of setting goals. They need a step-by-step guide so that they can follow a system.

A person who aims at nothing never misses. Aiming low is the biggest mistake. Winners see objectives, losers see obstacles.
Our goals should be high enough to motivate yet realistic enough to avoid discouragement.
Goals without action are empty dreams. Actions turn dreams into goals. Just like a camera needs focus to take a good picture, we need goals to make a productive life.

Remember: Knowledge helps you to reach your destination provided you know what the destination is.


Things to Start with
ü  Write down your goals
ü  Read your goals everyday once in morning and once at night
     before going to bed
ü  Make sure the goals should be time framed
ü  Goals should be divided in short-term which are to be done
within next 6-12 months / long-term within 1-3 years.
           Excerpts taken from You Can Win by Shiv Khera

1 comment: